Last year, Menauhant Beach – a nourishment project designed and permitted by Woods Hole Group for the Town of Falmouth – was among the winners of the American Shore & Beach Preservation Association’s (ASBPA) annual “Best Restored Beaches” contest.
This year, in celebration of its 10th anniversary, the ASBPA is running a “Best of the Best” contest to build awareness of the value of America’s restored beaches, and Menauhant is in the running in the Community Beaches category.
The Menauhant Beach restoration project was such a success because it:
- reduced the potential for storm damage;
- improved and expanded intertidal habitat;
- improved public access;
- enhanced recreational use of the beach;
- demonstrated that regional sediment management can provide a balanced and sustainable source of sediments for restoration projects; and
- reinstated Menauhant as a favorite local beach.
Vote here (early and often) for your favorite until April 27, 2012: